2012 German A-classNationals report by Chris Field


The first major international regatta on the European A-Class Catamaran Circuit has been completed.
The German international regatta was held from the 4th to 6th May in Wismar, on the Baltic coast in northern Germany. Myself along with another Englishman, Nigel Lovett who also sails a Vision, decided to make the 11 hour journey to the event and challenge for the title with the 53 other entries. We left the UK on the Wednesday and had 1 day of training and preparation at the event site on the Thursday before the first race on the Friday.
The practice went well. Conditions on the water proved a challenge for boat set up as the Brackish water and shifting breeze meant that the boat needed to be biased towards a flexible, low drag set up. The vision is a very low drag shape compared to other A-Classes and I managed to tune the rig to suit the expected conditions just in time on the Thursday night.
Friday saw all the planned races being held. My strategy for the whole 9 race series was to be consistently in the top 5 in each race as the conditions were so unstable a bad race result could easily happen due to shifting breeze or different pressure lines over the course. I achieved this goal and this left me in 3rd spot overnight.
Saturday again all races were sailed and I had a better day than the Friday. Overnight I made some changes to the mast set up and managed to get the VISION to perform better up wind and the results reflected this. If I had not been over the start line early in the 3rd race I would have moved up to 2nd overall.
Sunday dawned and 2 races were planned. I got a 2nd in the first race race narrowly missing out on 1st and the second race saw my only race out of the top 5, a 7th. This was enough to put me 2 points ahead of Thomas Paasch in third and behind Bob Baier who won the event for the third year in a row.
This event was the first of the season for me in Europe and I am satisfied with the result. Although it is not a victory, second place gives me a good platform to build from and it is reassuring that the developments made to the boat over the winters break has increased the potential performance.
I must say thank you to catamaranparts.nl  who have produced and helped me develop the mast and platform of the boat, to Hammer sails who, once again, gave me the sail to do the job and of course The Marine Travel Company for their continued support. This regatta was more about tactics and positioning on the race course however, without speed the result would have not been possible.

Off to the French nationals now to try and get 1 spot higher!
All the best,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment